Sunday, July 19, 2015

Archery at the Pan Am Games

I have never seen archery live (or on television/livestream for that matter). I'm so thankful for the Pan Am Games to give us the opportunity to see all these sports.

I loved it! I was shocked to see how far the archers are from the targets (70 metres) and how small the target is (122 centimetres with the centre being 12.2 centimetres). Athletes are paired up and compete one against another with the winner moving on.




Olympian Crispin Duenas - unfortunately eliminated in a shoot off (one arrow, closest moves on).




Binoculars or zoom lens are helpful.







Spirit isn't dampened too much after being eliminated. Olympian Crispin Duenas getting the crowd cheering for his teammate during the quarters. (Team Canada archer) Patrick Rivest-Bunster's mother is enjoying it.





Two Canadians going head to head meant we were guaranteed that one of them would move on. 2008 Olympian Jason Lyon would also win 2 next matches and would head to the semi-finals on another day.



Patrick Rivest-Bunster comes up in the crowd after his loss.




Funny story, a few days later, I am waiting for the streetcar at Yonge and Queen as I'm heading out for dinner with friends on Queen Street West. A Pan Am car stops at the red light in front of me. Their windows are open. I recognize them and say "Archery!". They smile and say yes. I tell them that I saw them compete the other day and add "congratulations" knowing that Jason Lyon won a bronze medal that day.

He held up his medal for me to see. What a great moment! How often are Canada's archers recognized in public?

As the streetcar passed by City Hall, I saw the archery team signing autographs and posing for photos as they arrive to the victory celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment