Sunday, January 6, 2013

Song I ♥: Every Story Has A Twist by Rosanna Tomiuk

I was compiling my list of songs I ♥ in 2012 (for my original blog My Life Is Like A Song) when I came up to Rosanna Tomiuk (while looking at my music chronologically). I have loved many of her songs (all of them?), so which one do I choose?

I saw her in concert last month and if you haven't read it yet, you can find my post about it here where I talk a little more about her music and her songs.

How do I choose one song (or two) in my year-end list? I really loved the Olympic-themed Made It, but also the songs on her EP. The new song Every Story Has A Twist that she performed at the concert really resonated with me though. Can I include a song I have heard twice, and only has a twenty second clip on her Facebook page? Do I wait for it to be released and include it in my list that year?

I took a break from making my list and went on Twitter where I see a tweet from Rosanna that she just posted a video of the song. If that's not sign enough that I should include it now, I don't know what is.

She wrote Every Story Has A Twist after getting back in the pool for the first time since the Olympic trials. The first time I heard it, it brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps on my skin. Many times songs have to grow on me, but not this one.

If you don't know Rosanna's story, she's a Team Canada water polo player. She always dreamed of being a musician. She explains in the introduction to the video for Made It (you can see it on my other blog post), if she had made the Olympic Team, she wouldn't have recorded the video for Made It for her Olympian friends to see. The video wouldn't have been shared by many. She wouldn't have been in the press (for singing - but perhaps she would have been for water polo). She wouldn't have been invited to sing for the Olympians at the Olympic Hall Of Fame Induction Gala...and her music career wouldn't have begun (in 2012 anyway).

I always say that things happen for a reason even if we don't know the reason at the time. As a past athlete who had dreams bigger than my fate, I could completely relate to the lyrics and feel of this song.

Every Story Has A Twist describes the feelings of a dream being crushed, but also the inspiring lesson of another dream beginning.

  

Lyrics:

Verse 1:
Visit the place
Been some days
A dream died
Up to breathe
There's a beautiful scene
But instead I cry

Verse 2:
With my face in my hands
Can't believe this is it
Look around
Ya girl, this is it

Chorus:
I think I'm ok
Then the surface breaks
Pain pours in
Think I'm ok
I guess a dream isn't fate
Every Story has a twist

Verse 3:
All those days
Were they a waste? 
To chase
In faith
It would be ours

No comments:

Post a Comment