Friday, October 5, 2012

Heading to Algonquin Park

It was a year ago that I read an article written by the late Randy Starkman about Adam van Koeverden's love of Algonquin Park.  You can read the article by clicking here.

Accompanying the article, was a video of the beautiful scenery and Adam talking about his days spent at his cabin in Algonquin Park.


Something he said in the video hit me at the time:
"If you've never been up here before in the fall, then you're missing out because it's pretty spectacular"
How have I not been to Algonquin Park before?  I am originally from Northern Ontario but when I drive on Highway 11 from Toronto to go home, it's normally to get from point A to point B not necessarily wanting to add to the 9 hour drive.  Those trips were normally in the summer though.

I am in awe of the fall colours in Toronto.  I love walking around in my neighbourhood looking at the trees or driving down Bayview Avenue or the Don Valley Parkway and seeing the changing colours. When Adam says, "it's not the Don Valley Parkway" it makes me want to see "what I've been missing" - although I don't think Adam was envisioning the fall colours along the Don Valley Parkway when he made that comment.

That's not to say that I have only seen the colours in Toronto.  I have gone on scenic drives to see the fall colours, going as far north as Collingwood, but these were day trips. The 400Eleven website is great for getting fall colour routes.

This year, my love for the Olympics (hence seeing the Randy Starkman article) combined with my love of Tom Thomson (and the Group of Seven) is resulting in a Thanksgiving weekend trip to Algonquin Park.

I may even ride a canoe or kayak if the weather cooperates, but more Tom Thomson-style...not Olympic style.

I can't imagine seeing picture perfect scenery like Randy Risling of the Toronto Star captured.


 I will be blown away if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment