Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Canada's Flag Bearer

Who should be Canada's Flag Bearer at the 2012 Olympics?

CBC are having a poll to determine Canada's choice. You can see it and vote here.

They have eight men and eight women facing off in four rounds to reach a final poll winner.

Alexandre Despatie
Mark Oldershaw
Ian Millar
Ryan Cochrane
Adam van Koeverden
Dylan Armstrong
Simon Whitfield
Daniel Nestor

Christine Sinclair
Catharine Pendel
Carol Huynh
Catherine Cockburn
Priscilla Lopes-Schlepp
Perdita Felicien
Clara Hughes
Emilie Heymans

Yesterday's vote was between Alexandre Despatie and Mark Oldershaw. Alex won that round.

Today, they pit Christine Sinclair vs Catharine Pendrel.

On a day where Alexandre Despatie has been seriously injured, should he make a comeback of Silken Laumann proportions to compete, I would go with Alex.

Almost every athlete in the poll, in my opinion deserves to carry the flag although for me, the flagbearer should be someone who has had success at past Olympics, is respected by his/her peers, has overcome some challenges and is a good role model for Canadians. I also have a personal preference for someone with past results and without too much pressure to perform this time. An athlete who is poised to win his/her first medal would not be my choice...save their highlight for their medal winning performance (no I don't believe in the flag bearer curse...really!)

My top 4 in the way CBC has selected the draw are: Carol Huynh/Christine Sinclair (I'm going back and forth on this semi), Clara Hughes, Alexandre Despatie and Simon Whitfield. Actually it's quite difficult to choose. There is a good case to be made for most of the athletes.

Overall I would go with Simon or Alex.

If I wasn't so biased towards my favourite Olympians (Simon, Alex, Adam) I would think that Ian Millar would be a better choice. Has he ever carried the flag in his previous NINE Olympic Games? He has been selected to attend his record-breaking 10th Olympic Games (it would be eleven if the 1980 Olympics had not been boycotted). I would be thrilled to see him carry our flag as well.

All I know is that I can't wait to see who Canada chooses in the poll; and who actually gets chosen by the Canadian team.

No comments:

Post a Comment