Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My 2010 Olympics

When I first found out that the Olympics would be in Vancouver, I half-jokingly asked my friends who lived there if I could reserve a corner on the floor of their apartment. I imagined that everyone they knew would be wanting to attend the Olympics so didn't even imagine that the couch would be available.

When they moved to Victoria, I (again half-jokingly) asked them, what about my corner? They assured me that getting to Vancouver would not be a problem from there.

When the first phase of tickets went on sale, reality set in. The expense of buying tickets and getting accommodation for a family of four seemed too big of an obstacle. I realized that the Olympics at the other end of my country wasn't going to happen for me.

I was crushed, but then focused on the Olympic relay. I applied wherever I could in order to run the relay. I figured that this was my destiny. It was my consolation prize, but what a prize it would be. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I was not chosen to run the Olympic relay.

When the torch was lit in Greece, I couldn't watch it on television. I couldn't believe that our home Olympics was beginning and that I wouldn't get to experience first hand. Some of my favourite Olympians were on hand when the torch arrived in BC, so I couldn't resist watching that...happy for them to experience what I couldn't. This is when I started blogging about the 2010 Olympics and my journey to make my dream of attending the Olympics a reality.

The label "My 2010 Olympics" contains those posts that were initially published on My Life Is Like A Song. I am reposting them here with their original dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment