Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A Toast to Simon Whitfield: May you always "Run Like a Kid"

Originally published on SportCafé.ca

When I heard about Simon Whitfield officially retiring, I wasn't sure what to tweet or write. I have written about him possibly more than any other athlete so do I repeat what I've already said? My twitter feed was filled with Simon messages. The media were reporting on it, so what could I add that hadn't been said before? Well, I found inspiration so here goes.

I just re-lived highlights from his gold medal win in this video I found on YouTube.



It's amazing to see it again after knowing how his athletic career flourished and is now officially ending.

I loved reliving the sprint at the end. I love his celebration as he neared then reached the finish line. Seeing him kiss the podium and jump up on it wearing the official Olympic hockey jersey reminded me of the Olympic jersey that I bought for my son that summer.
















My son's jersey still hangs in his room (although perhaps more for me than for him - he probably doesn't remember much about the 2000 Olympics).

I would love to see a video of the national anthem. Does Simon "sing like Kreek" (a quote he wrote on his bike for inspiration at the 2008 Olympics) or are the tears seen at the end of the video an anthem moment?

Looking back at Simon's career, a quote from his book "Simon says gold" is incredibly insightful and foreshadows his final Olympic race. The book was published in 2009.  He was ranked 26th in the world when he competed at the 2000 Olympics. After falling behind during the swim leg of the race, he caught the lead group on the bike leg and then made his way to the front. He writes:
"Wow, I'm in the lead of the cycling pack at the Olympic Games! I had never before been in the lead of the cycling pack at a major championship. 
My sense of euphoria didn't last long, however, as I had to keep focused on the task at hand. Then suddenly, near disaster! I looked up and saw a group of crashed cyclists in a heap immediately ahead of me. I had no time to avoid them and skidded right into the mess. Fortunately I managed to keep my feet beneath me and was the only one from the crash to make it back on the bike in quick fashion. Had my reaction been a split second slower, I would have gone head over heels, and the outcome of this day would have been much different. 
The difference between Olympic glory and heartbreak is often balanced on such a fine line, and I've thought about that a lot in the ensuing years."
How ironic or serendipitous that his 2012 Olympics would end with a crash on his bike when he narrowly missed one in 2000 on his way to gold - a fine line between Olympic glory and heartbreak indeed.

Here's what I wrote on my blog about his performance in 2008:
Another memorable moment for me was watching the gutsy run by Simon Whitfield in the triathlon. Man, as optimistic as I like to be, I thought he was done (a number of times) but especially when three runners start to pull away from him near the end. The commentator says that Simon had just said the other day that he did not want to be 4th. I'm thinking...ahh man - there isn't even anyone around to pass him so he can be 5th...lol.
Then, I see him throw his hat down. My first reaction is that he's annoyed that he's going to be 4th (has nothing left in the tank) or he's p*$#'d off and decides to go for it...ok, I was a little dramatic - perhaps he always takes his hat off for his final sprint, but that image is ingrained in my brain of seeing him throw his hat. Unfortunately, only those watching in HD could see this. I was recording in non-HD and it's not visible, so I'm glad I watched it live.
So I go from thinking he won't get a medal to thinking he's got it, he's going to win gold, to the final realization that he wins the silver...so moving...so exciting...what a roller coaster ride...definitely a highlight.
I would later read Simon's take on that moment:
"But even I thought I was done. I was in a world of panic. I thought if I don't do something at that moment, I will run out of chances. Something just snapped in me. I would not be denied. Not on this day. Not in this moment. Not at the OlympicGames. If I didn't dig deep at that key moment and at least make one last crack at it, I would always regret it. 
So I reached up to my head and threw my visor to the side of the road in defiance. I wasn't done yet, dammit. And I was going to prove it to myself and the world."
Coach Joel Filliol said after the 2008 Olympics that "Simon raced with courage and heart, and that is what seemed to resonate with so many people across Canada and even the world."  Simon is the epitome of the Canadian Olympic Committee slogan "Give Your Everything".

Simon learned that lesson early from his Dad:
"It was one summer when I was a young and aspiring triathlete ... We hadn't raced well and just sort of went through the motions, actually, and I could tell my dad was irritated. I made a smart-ass remark that he was upset because I didn't win. My dad answered, "Simon, I don't care whether you won or didn't. I just care that you didn't give an effort".
As much as I loved to see Simon as a triathlete, I have enjoyed the tweets and stories about Simon, the husband and Dad. I can imagine him giving this sort of advice to his daughters.

I often say, everything happens for a reason. Simon's 2000 Olympics could have ended with a bike crash, but instead his Olympic career began at the top. Like most people learn, life isn't easy and it's not perfect. He wasn't meant to get a third medal or cross the finish line in 2012.  Simon was in London (in my mind) to lead Team Canada at an Opening Ceremony. He competed at three Olympics without experiencing an Opening Ceremony. Being flag bearer at his fourth Olympics was his reward for the years of work and dedication he gave to his sport and his country.

His participation at the 2012 Olympics also reminded us that even the greats hit speed bumps along the road of life. Afterwards, you pick yourself back up, and in Simon's case cheer for your friends and go to the park with your daughters.

Broken collarbone confirm. Small break, not displaced but Mark and Adam won medals so I'm smiling. Off to the park.

His retirement message that you can read on his website says "Thanks" to the many people who played a role in his success, but it is me (along with countless Canadians) who say thanks to Simon, for leading us on such a great ride and being such an inspiration. Eventhough he will no longer be competing, he will continue to be an inspiration to countless young athletes with his involvement with mentoring organizations like Team Next and KidSport.

I can't end this toast to Simon without adding a personal story.

Although I never saw Simon race in a triathlon, I was thrilled to see him "run like a kid" (his quote when he shared a better photo than mine of this run at the Toronto Track & Field Games)


In the song Breathing Underwater, Metric sing "They were right when they said we should never meet our heroes", and I am conscious of that thought when I meet my favourites whether they are athletes, musicians or idols.



When the opportunity arose and I saw Simon at the 2 year countdown to the Pan Am Games, I was thankful (and relieved) that Simon was very generous with his time. I told him about my friend who asked him to say hi to me via a napkin a few months before (luckily he remembered the incident or is that unluckily?). I'm not sure if at the time he thought my friend was crazy or I was.

My friend lives in Victoria. He always tells me sees Simon cycling or running or eating in the same restaurant. One day, he saw him at a pizza place so asked him to hold up the napkin for a photo. (For the record, I would not have interrupted his family time so do not condone my friend's behaviour - even if it did bring a huge smile to my face).

When I went to the 2010 Olympics, I stayed at my friend's house in Victoria. If you're ever in Victoria, you should go to the tourist site my friends sent me, not the local museum or art gallery (well, okay you can do that too) but to a sports store called Frontrunners. It has great sports memorabilia including one of Simon's jerseys, his 2002 Commonwealth jacket and his running shoes. I had also coincidently met the owner of Frontrunners at the Terry Fox statue prior to my store visit. You can read more about my day in Victoria by clicking here.








I also bought Simon's book at FrontRunners. It's a great read. If you haven't read it, perhaps it is a great way to celebrate his retirement. It's also available online or as an e-book.







Thank you Simon, all the best int he future and may you always "run like a kid".

No comments:

Post a Comment