Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bud Greenspan Presents

I was checking The Movie Network on demand to see if there was anything worth watching. I found a documentary about the 2010 Vancouver Olympics:

Bud Greenspan Presents: Vancouver 2010 Stories of Olympic Glory

What a treat. Being the Olympic fan that I am, I was surprised that I hadn't heard about it before. I thought it was a Canadian film but it's American.

I watched this film that included some amazing stories.

It started with the women's moguls. Jennifer Heil attempting (and failing) to win Canada's first medal. They told the story from Jennifer's perspective as well as the gold medal winner Hannah Kearney from the United States. It was told well enough that I still thought it was a Canadian documentary.

Other great stories included:
  • Canadian Clara Hughes who won her 6th Olympic medal competing in winter and summer Olympics.
  • The Chinese pairs figure skaters (3 pairs in the top 4)
  • Petra Majdic the cross-country skier who won a bronze medal with five broken ribs and a collapsed lung.
  • The American nordic ski team who became the first Americans to win a medal in their sport and left Vancouver with four medals.
  • women's and men's ice hockey
The stories included interviews with the athletes looking back on their challenges and achievements. It was wonderful to be brought back and see highlights from the games including the opening and closing ceremonies.

Sadly, I learned afterwards that Bud Greenspan (who has directed numerous Olympic films) passed away in December 2010. This was his last documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment