Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What A Weekend!

Originally published on My Life Is Like A Song on February 15, 2011

It has been an incredible weekend for Canadians. For those not interested in the details, here is a summary. I will write individual posts to follow of each achievement.

Erik Guay won the World Championships in the downhill. Last year he won the overall Super-G title. I wrote about that here and then when I met him, I wrote about that experience here. The only thing missing on his resume is an Olympic medal.

Alex Gough became the first Canadian to win a World Cup luge race.

Milos Raonic won his first ATP title at the San Jose SAP Open. Last month he had an incredible fourth round result at the Australian Open that I wrote about here.

Arcade Fire won the coveted Best Album at the Grammy Awards. Other Canadians have won the Best Album Award in the past, but they were more mainstream acts. It is incredible that Arcade Fire who are far from mainstream would win this award.

Last, but not least ;-) Jacques Villeneuve won his first race in the Andros Trophy ice racing series holding off Alain Prost. I was thrilled this morning to find a website that showed his race as well as the congratulations he receives at the end.

Quite the weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment